Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bike Push Trailer

In the last few years, I've become interested in engine powered bikes. After a bit of research, my son and I built a push trailer using a Harbor Freight 2.5 HP engine. We welded a frame from 1.25" angle iron and painted it blue to match the engine. The engine is fix-mounted to the frame and chain tension is maintained using an idler pulley on a bar with a spring attached.

We bought the wheel, sprocket, and chain from a local distributer and used conduit for axle bushings to get the back tire to line up with the clutch sprocket. Cannibalizing a brake lever from another bike, we attached it to the handle bars as a throttle lever and purchased an extra long cable and shield from the bike shop to connect to the engine.

I fabricated a universal joint to connect the trailer to the bike at the seat post. We got it all put together and took turns riding it around the neighborhood. I clocked my son at 23 mph. Plenty fast for him in my opinion!



Last night, I sold the set-up to a neighbor who saw us riding it.  He wanted it to drive to work. There was more I wanted to do with it but I'm also interested in another project; a bike frame mounted engine!  Watch for more on that coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment